Monday, September 29, 2008

Breakthrough


As part of the Time-Based Art festival in Portland, presented by the Portland Institute for Contemporary Art, I organized this project. It involved asking volunteers to breakthrough the butcher-paper-covered door of a Portland cafe from 1-2pm on three consecutive days. Inspired by Sierra Norris and thanks to Jonathan Legare for letting us use his cafe. Sierra Norris had told me about someone she knew who did this for their child everyday so when they came out the door of their room, they experienced the dawning of another totally new day. I initially was asking Jonathan if I could do this with people coming out of the bathroom. It was soon discovered that would have been too akward so the natural choice became the main door.

Thanks to Jonathan Legare for use of his Cafe and to it's patrons for humoring the breakthrough process.

3 comments:

P said...

dude, I broke through and you said you'd post the video of everyone breaking through! Me and my two friends broke through at the same time. I'd really like to see it!


puleeeeeze

Avalon Kalin said...

patrick. sorry to not get yours up sooner. I'm working on a larger video of all of these. here it is in the meantime and thanks for your memorable breakthrough.

-Avalon

P said...

Very cool! I love your idea.